STANFORD UNIVERSITY GRADUATE STUDENT CAMPUS COMPACT
We are a community bound by our shared pursuit of innovation in education and research. As we come together this year to learn, discover, teach, and advance the University's mission, we recognize that our individual actions can affect others and we each must do our part to minimize the spread of COVID-19. We have an individual and collective responsibility to act in ways that protect the members of our Stanford community - including our custodial, dining, instructional, and residential staff whose work requires them to be on campus - and members of the surrounding community. Protecting the health and well-being of our campus community and the surrounding community requires each of us to commit to behave responsibly and in ways that demonstrate care and compassion for our fellow students, postdocs, staff, faculty, and community neighbors.
Recognizing the importance and urgency of our collective efforts, I agree to:
- Complete all required Stanford COVID-19 training prior to returning to campus and any ongoing training provided while on campus.
- Follow all federal, state, county, city and Stanford mandates and protocols to support public health and minimize the spread of COVID-19, and any additional guidelines and protocols implemented by my school or program. I will ensure that my partner and/or children that reside in Stanford housing, along with any essential visitors will comply with the Compact. I understand I am responsible and may be held accountable for their conduct.
- Keep myself informed and adhere to the most current protocols, found online at Stanford COVID-19 Health Alerts, recognizing that these mandates and protocols are likely to change.
- Follow directives from the University if asked to change my actions or practices so that I am in compliance with the expectations outlined in this Compact.
- Work with the Office of Accessible Education if accommodations are needed related to these expectations.
Screening, Testing, Isolation, Quarantine
- Screen myself daily for COVID-19 symptoms and self-report my health status by using Stanford Health Check on a daily basis when I will be in a Stanford controlled facility or residence. I also agree to follow any guidance communicated via Health Check and consult with Vaden Health Services as advised.
- Participate in all COVID-19 testing, quarantine, isolation and exposure notification protocols applicable to me, recognizing specific protocols may be different for students in different schools and programs. If I test positive for COVID-19 or learn that I have come in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, including my essential visitor(s), or household, I will review County COVID-19 Recommendations and comply with Stanford and County public health quarantine and isolation requirements. This may require that I and/or members of my household remain in residence or relocate to another residential space for a designated number of days as determined by the University.
- Notify the Dean of Students Office at firstname.lastname@example.org (or the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs at email@example.com if I am a postdoc), when I seek a self-initiated COVID-19 test and report the results when I receive them.
- Receive the seasonal flu vaccine unless I am unable to do so for health reasons.
Hygiene, Distancing, Face Coverings
- Practice personal hygiene consistent with public health guidance, including frequent and thorough hand washing, use of hand sanitizers before entering and after leaving campus buildings, and wiping down surfaces when arriving and upon leaving communal spaces.
- Wear face coverings whenever I leave my apartment and/or dorm room, even when I am with my essential visitor or among my household, in accordance with federal, state, county and Stanford directives. Face coverings do not need to be worn when gathering outside among your household members unless you are in the presence of non-household members who are fewer than 12 feet away.
- Adhere to the student safety measures found in the R&DE CleanDining plan to protect the health of workers and their families, and follow additional safety directives from University employees.
- Follow Stanford’s directives for physical distancing in common areas (including hallways and elevators), dining facilities, and all other campus buildings, areas and outdoor spaces, maintaining to the maximum extent possible a distance of six feet between myself and any other person, unless I am exclusively among someone who is assigned to live with me, or my essential visitor, or my household.
Guests, Access, Travel
- Register essential visitors and household members in accordance with Stanford policy before engaging in approved interactions outside of individuals currently living in your apartment.
- For individuals living on campus or in off-campus Stanford subsidized housing, refrain from having anyone who is not an essential visitor or in my household in my apartment or in common areas of my apartment building, per California state and county orders.
- Refrain from inviting or hosting individuals on campus who are not registered essential visitors, nor otherwise approved for in-person attendance on campus.
- Access only my own residential building, and refrain from accessing other residential buildings, unless I am an essential visitor of a student living in another residential building, required to access a dining facility to which I am assigned, or need to access a University resource within another residential building.
- Refrain from participating in any way in indoor events, gatherings or parties either on or off campus, in accordance with public health guidance, available here.
- Adhere to Stanford , county and state guidance when participating in outdoor events, parties and gatherings.
- Stay up-to-date with and adhere to Stanford's Travel Policy and all university guidance on travel stated on the health alerts website. If I am returning from travel and have questions or need assistance complying with these protocols, I will reach out to the Graduate Life Office. I will comply with any return policies or directives, which may include testing and quarantine.
Compact Review Panel
I understand that alleged violations of this Compact will generally be reviewed by a Compact Review Panel but acknowledge that the University retains the right to remove any person from housing or the campus to protect the health and safety of the community. The consequences imposed by the Panel will reflect the seriousness and/or pervasiveness of the behavior, including factors such as whether a violation occurred, whether the behavior puts the health and safety of others at risk, whether prior concerning behavior has occurred, and other relevant information to determine an appropriate public health response. The Panel may impose a range of consequences, including issuing a warning, requiring additional training, restricting access to Stanford facilities or removal from campus, including housing. Panel decisions that restrict access to Stanford facilities or remove a student from campus, including housing, may be appealed by submitting a letter via email to the Provost explaining why the student believes that they should be allowed access to Stanford facilities and/or to remain on campus. The letter must be submitted within 48 hours of receipt of the Panel’s decision, and will be responded to within 48 hours. All Stanford community members are required to participate and cooperate fully with the Panel and any necessary investigations related to violations of this Compact. Violations of the Compact may also be grounds for referral to other applicable University processes (for example, the Office of Community Standards for possible disciplinary action pursuant to the Student Judicial Charter of 1997).
Further information about the Compact Review Panel can be found here.
Last update on 10/5/20